IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
sprintcar64 (Offline)
  #1 5/4/08 10:44 PM
Well for their first show I thought it went pretty well. The delay between the heats and B main was a little long but they did try to keep every one entertained. The last five laps between Ballou and Hockett were well worth the twenty dollar infield price for my family. I think those two redefined the term "BALLS TO THE WALL".

It was great being at the Action Track again. I got to meet Tim Wolfe and his family in the infield and when my wife asked my 4 yr old dauhgter if she had fun she said " I liked the racing but I liked meeting my new friends too."
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #2 5/4/08 11:33 PM
The whole facility had a certain feel about it. One that many people had put in many hours getting the place ready, for their guests. Driving into the Action Track on a Sunday, walking into an active midway and then viewing 40+ cars pitted in their rightful place, in front of our grandstand seats, all added together to give the place an old-time Action Track feel. It's the first time it's been like that, in many years. We should try our best to support these guys. This is a group that is showing by their actions, that they care as much about this place, as any of us do.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
arctic monkey21 (Offline)
  #3 5/4/08 11:36 PM
The heats had some really good racing and the last 20 laps of the feature was fantastic. However that first 10 laps the dust and sun made it very difficult to see much. Glad nobody got hurt in that big pile up. The only question I have is about the watering.... seemed like 3 and 4 got very little compared to other parts of the track. Good to see the Action Track up and running again. The infield pits definitely are a big plus as well.
Great Scott (Offline)
  #4 5/5/08 7:16 AM
Its was pretty cool sitting in the bleachers and watching Bill Roses's team fix his front end after the big pile up in turns 3 & 4. We couldn't have seen that if they were pitted on the outside.
aka Liz (Offline)
  #5 5/5/08 8:28 AM
Kudos to DHK - even with the dust and delays, it was still one fantastic evening of racing. It was great to see a good sized & appreciative crowd too.

It would be hard to top the last few laps of the feature, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning of many great races to come for DHK!:checkered:
wingsareforcheaters (Offline)
  #6 5/5/08 9:00 AM
I thought overall things went very well. Day races at Terre Haute are really rough to try and keep the dust down. I think the track was watered adequately, but the MSCS officials were being a little picky about the front stretch and that caused 3 & 4 to dry out. I thought the crowd was decent. I was in the grandstand and it seemed pretty full for the feature. Many people kept coming and going so it was hard to grasp how many people were there. Each race under DHK will get better and better. The commitment and desire that these gentlemen have are second to none. I wish them congrats on a very good first event.
Millsvideo
  #7 5/5/08 9:46 AM
I have to agree with most of the comments made here...Yes, the visability was understandably difficult, and frustrating, but that's just an invariable you have to deal with when you have an early evening start and the sun is still up. Watering only ensures more dust, but really, if you don't water, the track rubbers up and the racing suffers. The delays between the events were also understandable for track prep, and, when you advertise an 8PM feature start (allowing time for delays earlier in the program, and having none), you have to honor that. Some people might show up just before 8 and be upset if the feature had started. You simply have to do as advertised. Also, I was pleased the track decided to wait out the sunset after the big crash in turn 3. It was simply too difficult to see anything. Another delay I felt that was necessary, and completely justified.

Overall, I give the new promotion team a B+ for their efforts. They clearly put in a lot of effort. As Jerry said, the whole place had a new, yet traditional feel about it. Almost as if the place had been cleansed of it's demons. I really enjoyed the experience, and even though I would have loved to be at Kokomo, I am glad I went. Thanks to DHK for putting on a great event. I look forward to your next race.

As for the racing, the last five laps of that feature were indeed worth the price of admission for all. Hockett and Ballou's performances were incredible all day long, and the fact that the two most dynamic players of the heat races finished the night by trading slide jobs and racing hammer and tong (without touching each other even once) to the checkered made an incredible nightcap to a great day. Both drivers had huge smiles on their faces in victory lane and it made my heart warm to see that. It's always cool when friends race each other hard, respect each other enough to race clean, and then get out of their respective cars and backslap and smile about it. I wish Jesse could have won, but I am thrilled for my Rocklin homie Robert Ballou for his victory. He drove a great defensive race in the last two laps and never even had to really "block" to hold off the hard charging Rocket.

Great job to all involved. Highlights will be up by the middle of the week of this event, for those who want to relive it, made the choice to go to Kokomo instead, or just couldn't be there for whatever reason. I will let you all know when they are.

Dean Mills
www.millsvideoproductions.com
Wolfe-e (Offline)
  #8 5/5/08 10:40 PM
Glad to me you as well Sprint 64...... Glad that your gang had a good time....Mr. Mills, sorry I did not get to talk with you. Hope you got what you needed. I look forward to the pics. and video....