IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A must stop
3/27/10, 12:04 PM   #1
A must stop
bigmojo5

ANYBODY traveling through Lincoln, Neb., really needs to sit aside the two-and-a-half hours needed to tour Speedy Bill's Museum of American Speed.
I did so Friday on the way to Junction Motor Speedway. 135,000 square feet on three floors, many one of a kind pieces (including some Ford prototype engines that FORD officials thought had been destroyed). There's the Johnny Lightning Special, Rollie Beale's Rodeo Bar Special, a CRA sprinter driven by Parnelli Jones, a Chrysler-powered STP Indy Car, a quarter midget driven by Little Joe Saldana, and the Mechancial Rabbit. The car driven by Jan Opperman in winning the Hulman Classic. Pike's Peak Hill Climb cars, the car David Pearson drove to a win in the Daytona 500 that was saved just before it went into the scrap compactor.
It's all just the tip of the iceberg as only about one third of the Smith Collection is actually on display.
This beats any speed museum I have ever been to.
Jim Morrison

2 members like this post: IndyBound, STP
3/27/10, 12:23 PM   #2
Re: A must stop
TQ29m

Jim, is that on my way to Lawrenceburg? You gonna make it back to Indiana this year? Be good to see ya again. Bob

3/27/10, 2:02 PM   #3
racephoto1

Author and photographer Bob Mays is employed there.He also expresses awe when describing the place.

3/27/10, 4:44 PM   #4
bigmojo5

Bob, I wish it was on the way to the 'burg. The place is unbelieveable.

Not sure I will make to Indiana much. Just too far of a drive and then have to get the paper out.

I'm sitting in Nebraska now watching it rain and working on a cover story. Hopefully, Beatrice will run tomorrow afternoon. I was very impressed with Junction Motor Speedway last night, which is still a work in progress. Would be a great track for Silver Crown but don't think they'd draw a big enough crowd to cover the purse.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Then Bob Mays is one very lucky guy.
Last edited by bigmojo5; 3/27/10 at 4:47 PM.

3/27/10, 6:01 PM   #5
TQ29m

Jim, I've talked to a lot of people who have been there, I think Jerry and JL went there, when they went to see the brick they had put in, for Jerry's dad, in Iowa, then on to Ca to see his other kids, maybe Peg will take me sometime. Keep your powder dry, and take care! Bob

3/27/10, 6:05 PM   #6
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
anybody traveling through lincoln, neb., really needs to sit aside the two-and-a-half hours needed to tour speedy bill's museum of american speed.
I did so friday on the way to junction motor speedway. 135,000 square feet on three floors, many one of a kind pieces (including some ford prototype engines that ford officials thought had been destroyed). There's the johnny lightning special, rollie beale's rodeo bar special, a cra sprinter driven by parnelli jones, a chrysler-powered stp indy car, a quarter midget driven by little joe saldana, and the mechancial rabbit. The car driven by jan opperman in winning the hulman classic. Pike's peak hill climb cars, the car david pearson drove to a win in the daytona 500 that was saved just before it went into the scrap compactor.
It's all just the tip of the iceberg as only about one third of the smith collection is actually on display.
This beats any speed museum i have ever been to.
Jim morrison
your right its the best one in the usa!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/27/10, 8:21 PM   #7
bigmojo5

If the Smith family ever tires of maintaining this collection -- which I doubt -- the tour guide said it will become under the jurisdiction of the Smithsonian Institute

3/27/10, 9:19 PM   #8
Bad Dad 54

2 1/2 hrs I went to the Don Garlits museum of Drag Racing and I spent 1 1/2 hrs in the 1st ailse. My wife and kids came up and said they were done, I told them to get comfortable. They went some where else and came 3 hrs later. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Also my friend Jerry Whitney painted one of cars in that museum and one thing Bill Smith liked about it the most was the paint.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A must stop