IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin
9/2/13, 4:07 PM   #1
DuQuoin
ThrowbackRacingTeam

So we FINALLY get a cushion that lasts the race and the guy running it the hardest runs out of fuel after only 80 laps? 10 laps later the other front runners run out? That's just completely frustrating. Maybe they should go back to Offenhausers. Weren't they the coolest race engines ever anyway?

3 members like this post: mr nobody, ronmil, speed bump
9/2/13, 4:14 PM   #2
Re: DuQuoin
mr nobody
Banned

Years ago at Springfield they had a car driven by Jack McGrath. The offy in it was simply the most beautiful sounding race engine I have ever heard. I never heard them run in person (not old enough) but that engine quickly replaced the old VW midget engines as my #1 favorite engine sound.

9/2/13, 4:15 PM   #3
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
So we FINALLY get a cushion that lasts the race and the guy running it the hardest runs out of fuel after only 80 laps? 10 laps later the other front runners run out? That's just completely frustrating. Maybe they should go back to Offenhausers. Weren't they the coolest race engines ever anyway?
Yes, and the DOHC Fords made some sweet music! Do you remember Jackie Howeton's turbo Offy? That thing was totally awesome! I know that awesome is probably the most overused word in the English language, but I think that it is an appropriate description.

1 member likes this post: JackSam40
9/2/13, 4:26 PM   #4
Andrew S. Quinn

"It aint how fast,its how far" -Don Hewitt

1 member likes this post: racephoto1
9/2/13, 6:17 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Not the size of the loud pedal, But how you use it.

1 member likes this post: racenut69
9/2/13, 8:38 PM   #6
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Just my .02 on DuQuion, awesome place, not a bad seat in the house, sure would've like to have more entries but happy to have the ones that competed. Ballou had em covered till he ran out of fuel, kinda got the short end with where USAC showed him finishing, 6th or 7th on the leaders board in the pits, but DQ him later for not crossing the scales saying he finished 5th, ugghh.
Coondog was hanging tough till his motor let go, Windom was there but ran out of fuel also?Cockrum and East battled for a long time,good racing.Congrats to Urish. Great night of racing and quality time with friends!!
On a side note, we were in no hurry to arrive home so we traveled across 50 to Sumner IL and went by Red Hill Raceway. The place has really been overtaken by weeds, trees and such. Fencing appeared to be falling down, weeds coming through the concession stand and growing into the grandstands. Sad, in its day a nice track.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

4 members like this post: bmemmer, Mud Packer, ronmil, wildman92
9/2/13, 9:26 PM   #7
Steve Wendel

usac should have taken the scales to Robert Ballou after the show he put on,I wonder why they don't have many cars.

5 members like this post: Bobv, Charles Nungester, cmakin, dirtnonwingfan, ronmil
9/2/13, 10:07 PM   #8
sprntr

Ballou learned the same lesson we learned at Granite City Speedway in Sauk Rapids, MN last summer, i.e. "It doesn't matter where you think you finished, SCALE EVERY NIGHT."
We thought we finished 6th, not 5th. Top 5 have to scale. Might have cost us the 2012 UMSS Traditional Sprint Car Series championship.
Bet he NEVER makes that mistake again. We sure as hell won't!

steiny
crew chief UMSS TSCS car #12

9/3/13, 1:34 PM   #9
chassisman55

That car is no way too light. Its all in the guy in the seat. Ballou has said many times that he just loves a balls-out track where he can, and will, run flat out all the way around. He is a hrow back to Foyt or Jimmy Bryan on that track.

1 member likes this post: cmakin
9/3/13, 1:45 PM   #10
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Just my .02 on DuQuion, awesome place, not a bad seat in the house, sure would've like to have more entries but happy to have the ones that competed. Ballou had em covered till he ran out of fuel, kinda got the short end with where USAC showed him finishing, 6th or 7th on the leaders board in the pits, but DQ him later for not crossing the scales saying he finished 5th, ugghh.
Coondog was hanging tough till his motor let go, Windom was there but ran out of fuel also?Cockrum and East battled for a long time,good racing.Congrats to Urish. Great night of racing and quality time with friends!!
On a side note, we were in no hurry to arrive home so we traveled across 50 to Sumner IL and went by Red Hill Raceway. The place has really been overtaken by weeds, trees and such. Fencing appeared to be falling down, weeds coming through the concession stand and growing into the grandstands. Sad, in its day a nice track.
Sorry to hear that. I had heard that he had been keeping the place up, but I guess he just gave up on it. He apparently doesn't want to sell it, and even if someone did take it over, it seems there are already too many tracks in the area vying for the same fans.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin