IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > live@thetrack???
6/30/08, 3:58 PM   #1
live@thetrack???
1BIGracefan

It has come to my attention that this past saturday evening. That my webmaster was getting some grief about live@thetrack. He was following company orders straight from the owner if anyone has a problem take it up with me he was doing what I asked. We do live as a courtesy I have been thinking for the last two days about pulling the PLUG on the live feature. Then I thought better of it because one bad apple doesnt ruin a bushel. We do live as a courtesy as with everything else in life it doesnt always happen the way you would like. When at the tracks we abide by race track asks of us.

Again if anyone has a problem with what said or done find me at the racetrack and we will talk about it.

6/30/08, 4:05 PM   #2
Re: live@thetrack???
USAC Fan

Wonder why no one's bashing Helfrich for stopping the live updates?

Guess if it was USAC doing it, there would be a 12 page thread already.

6/30/08, 5:45 PM   #3
wideopenwheelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
Wonder why no one's bashing Helfrich for stopping the live updates?

Guess if it was USAC doing it, there would be a 12 page thread already.
IMO, the Helfrichs are completely within their rights to ask that a web-site refrain from doing live updates during racing action. In fact, I'm surprised more tracks haven't asked this as well. Yes, there will always be people who will go to the track and text message results to their buddies to be posted on IOW and I also appreciate this when I can't make it to a track. However, if I was a track owner and the only way I was able to support these sanctioning bodies and special shows was with fans in the stands I sure wouldn't appreciate someone coming in and making it that much easier for those fans to choose to stay home rather than coming out to the track.

Yes, there will always be people that can't make it to a race and want to know what's going on, but does it really hurt them to find out after the show has been completed rather than live?

We are in a down economy right now, drivers are being more selective about which shows to attend and fans are as well. I don't blame a business owner one bit for not wanting to encourage someone to skip my show so they can go somewhere else and spend their money knowing they'll just be able to get the live updates from my track on-line. And yes, some people will do that.

And if you don't think 5% is significant, try owning a business and taking a 5% loss in sales and then tell me it's not significant - especially when that business supports your family. It's not just ticket sales either, it's concessions, and promotional materials.

Instead of reacting like a fan I think you need to think of this like a business person. I like the live updates also, but there have been shows that I could have made it to but chose to stay home instead and catch the updates because it was more convenient.

Again, just my opinion....

Gary Smith

6/30/08, 5:52 PM   #4
mizzmeatboy

Maybe if you didn't have sponsors paying you to do them and didn't get free track creds things would be different.

Everyday you promote your website on IOW, who had 13 million clicks in May, to draw people over to your site where you don't even have a IOW logo on your page, yes a link hidden away. IOW has had no problem with people providing updates for many years. T2D has been up for maybe a year and has problems, Why? If your going to use IOW to get people at least post updates on OW too.
You don't need to be up with the officals and why not even top 5 from poweri in Ky the other night?

Fans do stay home nowdays because they know they will get updates and the cost of fuel and maybe rain.

So cry into your own towel when you get denied track creds for free. I don't think IOW is on any track list.

Their is a reason many tracks don't accept websites as a real media worthy of a cred.

John Laux
Las Nutz, Tx

6/30/08, 6:41 PM   #5
davex

Can anyone that gives some updates and takes some pics get in free? They ask for people to give them money on their website because it cost so much for them to go to races.....when they get in free? you guys can't afford just the gas only to get there? oh and don't start with the excuse that it costs so much for the domain, etc.....you are saving plenty by getting into the races free. i think any fan that uses their hard earned dollars would think the same.....I have text and camera so I will hit up the tracks to see if i can get the cred's too......it was said best yesterday in another IOW post...

6/30/08, 6:55 PM   #6
WINGS not non-wings.

If a track lets you get in for free you should obey there rules.....its called RESPECT people.:doh:

6/30/08, 7:30 PM   #7
coachmeece

Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz this crap is so stupid

keep up the good work don and kyle

6/30/08, 7:41 PM   #8
BuckWheat

coachmeece
Quote:
Jeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz this crap is so stupid
I think you need to re-read this post, it makes some pretty good sense about using IOW and a couple of other points as well.

davex
Quote:
Can anyone that gives some updates and takes some pics get in free? They ask for people to give them money on their website because it cost so much for them to go to races.....when they get in free? you guys can't afford just the gas only to get there? oh and don't start with the excuse that it costs so much for the domain, etc.....you are saving plenty by getting into the races free. i think any fan that uses their hard earned dollars would think the same.....I have text and camera so I will hit up the tracks to see if i can get the cred's too......it was said best yesterday in another IOW post...
Let's see, charge for advertising, get in free, promote your site on someone else's site and then whine about how much it costs to get there?
If I was a promoter, you'd be paying your way in next week, and if I owned IOW, you would pay to promote your site on mine.

The old you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours............looks to me like your back is the only one getting any scratchin'!

6/30/08, 7:44 PM   #9
agar

Race Count Last Year: 14

I hope this don't get to deep I Like going and taking pictures for fun I will share them with anyone who ask its a hobby I don't ask to get in free at the races just the chance to take pictures but if this gets out of hand the tracks may start only letting a few people take pictures which would be a no win deal for either side :headbang:headbang

6/30/08, 7:46 PM   #10
WINGS not non-wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agar View Post
I hope this don't get to deep I Like going and taking pictures for fun I will share them with anyone who ask its a hobby I don't ask to get in free at the races just the chance to take pictures but if this gets out of hand the tracks may start only letting a few people take pictures which would be a no win deal for either side :headbang:headbang
from what i understand this has nothing to do with taking pictures....its about live updates......:doh:

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > live@thetrack???