IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #1 6/5/24 2:22 PM
Maybe I'm just confused about what Flo is selling, but if it is some way to bet on auto racing, It makes me very nervous. I remember that coming up in a conversation among our Modified team maybe 50 years ago, and one of the guys closed the subject by saying, "The easiest way to fix an auto race is to stick a wheel under someone." I haven't thought about it since that day, but I don't feel any better about it. Anyone else nervous, or is it ok with you?
2 Likes: flagboy55, tirespinner
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #2 6/5/24 3:14 PM
Don't think Flo is selling anything but advertising. What I've been seeing lately is QR code that takes you to Underdog fantasy sports betting. Just one of dozens betting sites on the web. I don't participate in any of those, but don't see any issues with it either.

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
2 Likes: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #3 6/5/24 5:39 PM
I'm glad to see there is someone besides me speaking up about this.
You know it's 1 thing to have a group of people betting in the stands.
Only to have organized gambling encroach into this "CLUB" sport after all of this history is 1 thing, only it goes further than that. (see attachment from X)
USAC has either approved & posted or reposted (makes no difference, its on their thread) this n x t bets with a QR code?

Who is on the USAC Board of directors? Is this approved? If so, Where is your respect and integrity? Do you think this is going to help bring people to your product. What about controversy? I have been to many USAC events in my decades and seen bags full of controversial calls. Without lots of more officials involved randomly walking pits, looking at tires, chassis, measurements, overall spot checks. Unlike other sports your club has no strict 3rd party rule enforcement constantly throughout the program to assure there is no cheating EVERY time each entry enters and leaves the track to collect any prize money (See Horse Racing) Let alone if you have involvement there being conflict of interest.

Just like an Old Timer told me a long time ago
"It smells like there's a skunk in the woodpile!"

I have to wonder if USAC will even respond.

Being unsure of how this is being done, if USAC had nothing to do with it, USAC should sue to be taken off of it before you lose this club to lawsuit over CONTOVERY AT THE FINISH LINE!

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #4 6/5/24 6:03 PM
Good grief, this is no different than any other major sporting league that you can place bets on. It’s up to the league to police their own. MLB just banned a player for life over betting, first since Pete Rose. You can bet on NCAA games and tournaments. Don’t see what the big deal is. I’ve never heard of a betting controversy in NASCAR, Indy, or F1.

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
6 Likes: dkdorkboy, Ilovedirttrackracing, Jerry Shaw, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, TQ97
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #5 6/5/24 6:19 PM
Originally Posted by Indy1808:
...If so, Where is your respect and integrity?

...I have to wonder if USAC will even respond.

Why would they respond, Rich? Why would they even dignify what you posted with a response?

You've taken something that you know absolutely nothing about, jumped to a bunch of conclusions and, on a public forum, questioned their integrity and accused them of not having respect for the sport, when we're talking about something that is perfectly legal. And that is happening in virtually every sport.

Why the personal attacks? I just don't understand.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
10 Likes: Blitzman, BrentTFunk, Chief Wahoo, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, opnwhlmnd, racefan20, RacingFan52, TBONE, wildman92
kendirt (Offline)
  #6 6/5/24 9:02 PM
More than one thing can be true at the same time right?

A. I see lots of potential problems and don't think that long-term it's good for the sport.

B. I'm sure if you're a real gambler there are already plenty of ways to bet on auto racing.

Comparing dirt racing to MLB is just silly. WRG would be the closest to having enough infrastructure to police their employees and participants. Many sanctioning bodies have track officials who work for a free pit pass and a hot dog. You think losing that gig is going to deter them from betting? There are a lot of people on any given night that can effect the outcome of a race if they choose to.
yeleyfan76 (Offline)
  #7 6/5/24 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw:
Why would they respond, Rich? Why would they even dignify what you posted with a response?

You've taken something that you know absolutely nothing about, jumped to a bunch of conclusions and, on a public forum, questioned their integrity and accused them of not having respect for the sport, when we're talking about something that is perfectly legal. And that is happening in virtually every sport.

Jerry
Maybe he doesn’t trust the people you say he is attacking. I sure don’t, and since this is a public forum to discuss topics involved with racing and most times specific to the sanction body based in Speedway, I don’t see the problem. You say it’s attacks, I see it as general concern. If you believe in the group in charge you see no
issue on this. If you dont then it’s possible to have concern. They don’t have to respond and probably won’t. As a consumer of the product, I feel like gambling on it opens up a lot of issues. Is this an attack??
Just because gambling is in virtually every other sport, that doesn’t mean it needs to be in Usac.
2 Likes: Indy1808, motorhead748
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #8 6/5/24 10:55 PM
Demonizing what any over 21yr old can do legally is total BS and one thing that's killing the sport, has been for a couple decades. Oh indycar was great when MARBORO, VICEROY and Miller were on half the cars. there were a couple dozen cars to do bump day, Now you can barely get enough sponsorship to put 33 out there.

Charles Nungester
2 Likes: PIT CART, The Old Coyote
Indy1808 (Offline)
  #9 6/6/24 3:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw:

Jerry
That's right! I have questions.
Since You think I am stupid about this inform me.
Do they have a part in this? They seem to promote advertise it, Make money off of it? Has the mission statement changed?

Why attack me for questioning that? This is far from being any stick n ball sport gambling.
I have been a member of this Club for many many years, as was my Father. Are you?

I (and apparently others) want to know if USAC is involved & why?
Now do you understand?
Also, Is this not what a public forum is for?

Peace & love to all.
God bless our Troops at home and abroad.
INDY1808 SEE YOU AT THE RACES !
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing
nodramazone20 (Offline)
  #10 6/6/24 3:33 PM
This gambling angle is a gimmick...its all smoke and mirrors...they are grasping for straws as the product on the track continues to dwindle away...Trusting this sanctioning body to operate this on the up and up is a stretch and if you do, then God Bless you.