IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stuttering Mag
6/16/13, 8:56 PM   #1
Stuttering Mag
HurstBros0

I bought this MSD magneto off of Hoseheads. It came with a double throw on / off switch... One position the engine winds to infinity. The other way it goes to 5500 rpm and is like a stutter box on a drag car. Would this help you on a dry slick track? I was down at Haubstadt last night and it seemed some fellows were incorporating this option into their program. That or they can cycle their right foot 120 cycles per second...

6/17/13, 11:32 AM   #2
Re: Stuttering Mag
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

Your box may have a rev limiter in it. The ones that I worked with in the past had a replaceable chip that you would use to set your upper limit. Not really used for wheel speed on a dry track but more for not blowing an engine if your broke a drive line or something. And even if you miss the gear selection you won't toast your $$engine$$. What you heard was those guys reaching the limit in the box due to spinning of the rear tires on a dry track.

If you want alittle more for the restart with 2 togo flip it off and go

1 member likes this post: HurstBros0
6/17/13, 1:02 PM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurstBros0 View Post
I bought this MSD magneto off of Hoseheads. It came with a double throw on / off switch... One position the engine winds to infinity. The other way it goes to 5500 rpm and is like a stutter box on a drag car. Would this help you on a dry slick track? I was down at Haubstadt last night and it seemed some fellows were incorporating this option into their program. That or they can cycle their right foot 120 cycles per second...
Dan, in most circles, that is known as traction control, and yes, it can come in handy on a dry slick track. I have an electronic ign set up for my TQ, that has 4 different advance curves in it, driver controlled by 2 on/off switches, and it's great, if it just worked in the higher RPM ranges, so far it hasn't, but it's good up to about 10k, which is where it starts stuttering, which is at least 3k lower than we need. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 6/17/13 at 3:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: HurstBros0
6/18/13, 11:15 AM   #4
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Dan, in most circles, that is known as traction control, and yes, it can come in handy on a dry slick track. I have an electronic ign set up for my TQ, that has 4 different advance curves in it, driver controlled by 2 on/off switches, and it's great, if it just worked in the higher RPM ranges, so far it hasn't, but it's good up to about 10k, which is where it starts stuttering, which is at least 3k lower than we need. Bob
Google Davis technology and see what that studder really costs.

Honest Dad himself

6/20/13, 8:47 AM   #5
racen857

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 20

If it is traction control you better make sure that it is legal in your racing class. Here in Pa most sprint car classes, all mag boxes must be located outside the **** pit so you can't be making changes. Better check your local rules.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stuttering Mag