View Single Post
Shawn (Offline)
  #23 8/26/08 10:09 AM
I totally agree with the tradition that UMRA brings to the table. It would be sad to see it go, but some things change. In my opinion, they've had plenty of time to fix the issues that have caused this situation. It's not something that's just being brought up after one race, or even one season.

There are times where these "traditions" become "history". It's like Winston Cup becoming Nextel Cup, then Sprint Cup. It's like Great American Ballpark replacing Wrigley Field, or even Yankee Stadium being replaced. You've got to keep up with the times and make changes, but that's where they sometimes struggle.

I do have to give credit to UMRA's president for one thing. He's put UMRA into some of the best tracks in Indiana. I like the guy and all of this is not on him, but it's the series as a whole.

Car counts have been down, but it's not all about the economy. It's about being tired of everything coming down to what a certain team wants, in a round about way. It's about teams being tired of all the drama that this team creates, but yet nothing is done about it. UMRA has always had big car counts, so that's out of the question. They used to have fifty-plus cars at some races, so that's not a good argument.

Finally, I think some people on this board were at the UCS race in '04, when the sprints races there. They saw a certain driver get his spot back more than once! It's those types of things being done that drive teams and fans away from UMRA, honestly. That's why there's ANY interest in a new series...