View Single Post
11/5/19, 11:16 AM   #27
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
Brickyard

Apparently a few of you missed the press conference and are still beating the Penske hates dirt racing dead horse.

-Tony George for the first time since the split fully admitted that the family can't take the series and race back to the level it once was. They no longer have the clout they once did, and what clout remained after the first split was totally lost with the "Vision".

-Tony reached out to Penske at Laguna Seca. Why? Because he is the one man with the one organization that has skin in this game that can get what he failed miserably in doing done.

-For me and many others this is finally full admittance that he screwed up in 1996, he may have won a couple of battles when CART owners finally came back and then ChampCar folded, but ultimately he lost the war....a war that never had to be waged. His decisions, and no I don't hold CART owners totally without blame as they could have ended it just as quickly, resulted in him urinating a ton of family money into one of the many IMS men's restroom troughs and alienated what was once of strong fanbase full of people from all walks of the multiple racing genres rather than just one.

Will Roger get rid of the BC39? I highly doubt it. He said in his press conference that one of his visions(and like Mario Andretti stated yesterday, Penske's "Vision" will come with actual real world working actions as opposed to just a word meant to spin up a base) he wants to turn this back into a world class facility. In doing so that means it will be used and not just for one month a year.

Will he ever live to see this fully grow to the levels he dreams of? Statistics say no, but I highly suspect the few of of you that poo poo this and hold a cold heavy heart for anything Penske and CART will stand back and wonder just why the Hell 1996 had to happen to begin with after all is said and done. Had someone not had "vision", we more than likely aren't talking about this today.

All you need to know is the fact that Foyt, Andretti, and Bobby freaking Unser are on board with this. That alone speaks volumes, and with grandson out of the way I suspect words aren't going to be minced. Tons of people lost jobs and money due to those decisions of the early to mid 90's and one of oldest top level racing series in the world that was just as big as NASCAR and could have given Bernie a run for his money was reduced to a cracked and broken shell of it's former self. There is nowhere but up with this decision, and no, Tony isn't going take this money and sock it into USAC.
Last edited by Brickyard; 11/5/19 at 11:42 AM.

6 members like this post: GlobalSpeedway Tours, jim goerge, LB, Leohr46, nathans1012, Puppy