View Single Post
9/6/11, 8:44 PM   #22
MKTQ17

Guys were are forgetting one key point when talking about payouts. The promoters!! These guys must be profitable and make it count because the only have 21 weekends to do it in and the track is what pays their bills. Keeping that in mind how do u expect a promoter to pay the kind of purses you would like Don when 6 cars show up! (not a dig on you Don). Im just like the rest of you guys I want to race somewhat close to home on a semi-regular basis. Knowing that i have a 11 headed gaerte i dont expect to compete with he big dogs on the national stage. However i still want to race. USAC takes a beating on here most of the time! Whether they deserve it or not another topic! They did do one thing right (not perfect) D1! Again I say no perfect but a step in the right direction. The biggest problem was nobody showed up!!! IMO they could have changed 3 things and got approx 25 cars each night.
1. Spread the races over the state not just up north get all the promoters involed ask each one to do 1 race and the second could tag along with a regular usac sprint show. This would increase visibility to the startup program and lesson the blow (risk) to the promoter.

2. 1 tire per night. This limits cost to owners/ driver. You could do it with or without a tire spec.

3. Purse structure. 850 to win 175-200 to start. The big dogs wont run their high dollar engine for that when they can win 2k national midgets. 175-200 will still keep the total purse reasonable for the promoter to book a show! And still cover some expenses for team owners.

To make this work we must keep in mind that this is not national midgets but a feeder series to make the national midgets better. Both for power i and usac!!

Lastly, we all must support it. I would bet if you could guarantee 25-30 midgets with the above purse (which is not bad) you could book any track in indiana with the exception of Lawrenceburg. Not because he wouldnt do it but because the motors that would be running in this series couldnt take it. Like my 11 headed gaerte.

I dont think you need a 22k motor to make a national show. My gaerte has won a couple of heats with Usac and 2 top tens with poweri. IMO. Motors are not the problem.

Not saying everything should be done this way but, maybe a start.

Michael Koontz
Posted via Mobile Device