View Single Post
12/30/13, 9:38 PM   #24
Re: Best race you seen in 2013
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

These memories are not in any order.

1.) The Lincoln Illinois Speed (Midget) Week show was excellent, and it was the worst one of the week. Macon was outstanding, but I think that the battle between drivers from 4th or 5th through 9th or 10th positions throughout the race at Jacksonville was possibly the fiercest I have ever seen between that many cars for those positions. Slide jobs, multiple position changes every lap, just insane. Absolutely astounding competition, aided by the fact that Michael Pickens was put out of his heat race on the first lap and had to work his way up through the "B" (which he won) and then started on the back of the Feature (finished 7th). That was fun to watch.

2.) The Saturday night midget feature at the Western World at Canyon Speedway. Even if it hadn't been for the last lap it would have been outstanding. At the white flag, it was clear that Bryan Clauson was too far behind Darren Hagen to have any chance of winning the race and the bonus for winning both the sprint and midget features. The distance he made up between the exit of turn 4 and the finish line for the win was just impossible. This is why we go to races.

3.) The Herb Barlow Memorial MOWA/POWRi races at Jacksonville were memorable, to say the least. POWRi put on a great show, but nothing, nothing (even the above-mentioned Western World midget finish) could top the MOWA finish in 2013. Christopher Bell crossing the finish line with his right side up on Bryan Clauson's left side was one of the wildest finishes I have ever seen, and the margin of victory (I was seated near the start/finish line and had no idea who won) made it all the more memorable.

4. Sprints at Kokomo and midgets at Little Belleville. While no one race stands out for me, there were so many great moments at those two tracks that there doesn't have to be a particular race to which I can point which gets my blood churning at the thought of going there. Just how many sprints wide can you go at Kokomo and how many midgets wide at Little Belleville? I think you measure the width of the tracks, the width of the cars, and add a couple of inches for clearance and you have the answer.