View Single Post
2/16/13, 12:28 PM   #7
Re: Power Stearing for Race Cars
rmr6nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
The drivers would be the same guys, for the most part. They would just look a little different. You can develop muscles and strength. The same can't be said for superior reflexes and situational awareness. That's what has always set these guys apart from average human beings.

Jerry
I’m not so sure that exactly would be the case. If you look at the history of the sport, there weren’t many kids running full blown midgets and sprints back in the day of non power steering cars that I’m aware of – though I’m sure other variables played a part.
Do we think Kyle Larson would have been out wheeling a sprint or midget around at 13 years old without ps? Gordon, Sweet, or any of the other ‘smaller in physical stature’ at a younger age?
Would parents have still been willing to spend the money when their kids were so young knowing the physical demands that would be placed on them – let alone allow them to get in the car? Would car owners still be out looking for the younger drivers?
I wonder how many of the younger drivers would have had the same opportunity, let alone be at the level they are now at such a young age … interesting -