Thread: shootout
View Single Post
12/19/14, 11:48 AM   #12
Re: shootout
DAD

I went to the Tulsa Shootout website to check the car count.http://www.tulsashootout.com/profile...r=62001&rt=sch I see They have 17 Echo Tec Midgets and 20 1200cc Midgets (Mini Sprints). Looks like everybody will make the main event this year. If we had a little more time and money we would sure be their. Looks like easy pickens to me.

If you guys get a chance take a stop watch up to both the Echo Tec and Mini Sprint races and clock the hot dogs out their in both classes. Are their times pretty close? Wonder what would happen if you combined the classes?

These are both neat types of race cars, but because of rules packages (Self imposed segregation) we have kept our numbers down to a manageable size. If we were to combine the Focus, Echotec, Kenyon, and Mini Sprints into one class, what would happen? COMPETITION would kick in, is what would happen. Most all racers want to be competitive, the cost of the engine packages is pretty close when you stop to look at them. "STOCK" is the major priority for a fair rule package, and I don't mean down to the 3 ten thousands of an inch and you are out Go Kart type mentality either.

Guys are spending thousands of dollars right now to take their mini sprint motors to a guru engine builder to have them massage the last little bit of drive ability out of them. You can't stop that but you can limit parts to OEM and make visual checks for that. That won't stop people from deep freezing their engines internals or spraying super slick all over everything that you can not see, so why worry about it.

Make inspection ports, make ways to check cam lift without pulling the valve cover and have pictures or actual parts on hand for your tec people to compare to. Pretty soon it will become obvious to all the racers which is the hot set up, (Like watching go karts at you local rental track to decide which kart you want to drive) and the other combinations will vanish from existence until some other bright racer finds a better package to race with.

I see that Casey Shuman is listed on the drivers list this year. So being a true Kentuckian at heart I will Put my money on the Jockey.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/19/14 at 12:04 PM.

1 member likes this post: cshuman