View Single Post
revjimk (Offline)
  #14 10/20/16 1:59 AM
Originally Posted by MIracing:
I believe that growing up going to races even if you stop eventually you will get hooked again. It's kind of like church. The saying is that most young adults leave the church at some point but usually seem to find their way back. That doesn't mean that other people don't find the church later in life. I just think people who experienced racing when young will be more likely to go back.

As for the younger crowd, I am 32 and go to as many races as I can. For close to 10 years racing was not a priority and the only reason I attend races is now is because it is a priority.

Think about this. I would say this is a pretty normal trend for people who go to college. They are in college til 22-23. They get married mid to late 20s. They have kids late 20s to early 30s. Then kids life can eat up your time for the next 20 years. Even if they go to races with they are bound to get involved in other stuff as well.

It's really had to commit to anything within those years unless it's a priority and even then it's tough.

So it's not always how do you get kids or young adults involved in something entertainment related like racing. It's can you continue to attract 40+ year olds who are starting to get expendable time and income to attend things such as racing.

I maybe way off but an outside of the box take on it.
Thats kind of what happened to me. I'm 66. In the early 1960s I would bug my father to take me to dirt track "stock car" races in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley (actually "jalopies" or modifieds, which at the time were run whatcha brung hotrod coupes) Loved it. In 1966 we moved back up North & I went to 2 races on pavement, lost all interest. Fast forward 40 some years, I was visiting in Upstate NY, a friend gave me a racing magazine that mentioned big sprint car scene in Central Pa. I was headed to southern Pa. the next day, got on the Net, found a race, was instantly rehooked. Since then (2010?)I discovered wingless & midgets & have been to lots of the big events all over USA (I have summers off) I think I did 14 races this summer.
As to the younger crowd, kids just aren't into cars like they used to be. When I was in HS, a kid could get a part time or summer job, living at home, & save to buy some pretty hot cars. There were HS Auto Shop classes & lots of people knew how to work on cars. Nowadays cars are expensive, efficient, boring & require specialized training to fathom all the electronics. You rarely see a bunch of teenagers working on a car with the hood open in the driveway anymore. They'd rather do video games or yak on their cellphones. What to do? Beats me.... better enjoy it while it lasts....
6 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, flagboy55, PJ Wright, racenut69, sprinter31