View Single Post
DAD (Offline)
  #36 10/30/13 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by jmo8:
The old "IROC" idea made for some pretty good racing, and it worked out kinda of strange about the guys winning the races. How could a guy like Steve Kinser beat them NASCAR guys on their own race tracks, he sure did?

Sorry Dad, I didn't recall Kinser having much success in any form of a stock car racing. So I was compelled to do some fact checking. Steve Kinser raced 27 IROC events over a seven year span. He averaged 8.2 out of 12 possible starting positions in that time. He had 3 top fives, which included his ONE and only win at Talladega in 1994, he led 25 of the 38 laps. Sounds to me like he drew right car that day.

Additionally unimpressive, his NASCAR career consisted of 2 DNQ's in 1993 and 5 races in 1995 where he averaged a 35.2 place finish with 2 additional DNQ's.

Now everyone can go back to arguing about weight limits and tires ... just kidding. I commend everyone involved in trying to do what's best for the mini/lightning series to secure future success and growth. Good luck with the meeting, I will be looking forward to hearing the outcome.
Talladega isn't that one of them little bull ring dirt tracks. That was in 1994, boy time flies. My point was they worked awfully hard to make those cars equal to one another and the best driver was suppose to win. I know that equal will never exist but they were on the cutting edge of equal at the time. Like going to the rental go-kart track, If you watch them several sessions you know the kart you want.

My point would be: People starting out in racing put to much concern in motor horsepower especially when the cars are racing on dirt. They may even spend large sums of money on motors and motor go fast trick parts like injectors air filters even rods and pistons when what they really want and need is a more tractable motor that they can control. If I was selling air boxes that would be my selling point.

The Kawasaki zx10r motors from 04 up are bears. We have run them since I think 04 or 05. The 04 motor had all kinds of horsepower but it came on so quick (cammy) on a slick track the driver just could not stay on top of it. In 08 they had redesigned a few things that made the motor much easier to drive thus even down a few HP from the 04 motor it was still faster in the race.

If one wanted to handicap these race cars to make them all equal, since they can't outlaw good drivers the way to do it would be with tires and or weight.

When a driver start out racing on dirt it feels kinda of cool to be buzzing the rear tires and backing the car into the turns. They think they are flying, when they get beat by another car they naturally think that that guy must be buzzing his tires even more then they are and backing his car into the turns really really hard.

This is the "SECRET" guys. That big old guy in what you think is a cheater motor car is keeping the car straight, getting a good bight on the dirt surface and accelerating no faster than the tire can keep up with the track conditions. I like to call it "Shuman Traction Control" named after Ron and Casey Shuman two of the very best throttle men out there.

Them big old boys overcome "inertia". The only time inertia should matter is the drag race on the first lap between the starter flag and number one turn. The good driver make it happen with that physics term known as "momentum">>>In these things you can't be starting and stopping them for every turn, that would take lots of horsepower and that stuff is expensive and you can't find much more of that stuff left in these motors.. The fastest guy in the center of the turn will also be the fastest guy at the end of the straight. Sounds easy doesn't it, the trick is doing it as fast or just a little faster than the other driver does, that is what we call staying on top of things.

That is how them big old boys over here in Indiana win races.

Honest Dad himself