View Single Post
1/2/13, 12:18 AM   #105
Re: Midget Square Tail Tank
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
FYI DAD: I paid Saldana Racing Products a year ago $1566.59 for a traditional midget tail tank. I'm not interested in buying another one to keep up with everyone. I own four midgets so, assuming the exotic tail tank costs near the same, that's $6266.36 just for tail tanks to keep up with the Jones. And FYI if you've read my posts on here in the past, I'm already worried about the $30,000 engine which is actually $32,500 for the latest Fontana and about the same for the new Stanton Mopar. No thanks for any legislation for more expensive midget parts. I'm currently near bankrupt rebuilding two exotic engines.
That is right Don, The world is full of people who made a small fortune in racing by first starting out with a larger one.

But if you take USAC as the one and only way to race midgets, and the ultimate rule writers you will continue to buy those $1600.00 tail tank and bladder super deals. Square bobtail tanks would be much easier to build a bladder for and cheaper for the racer also, and the traditional people could buy the high priced spread. By being so specific about the shape of the tail the price also goes up.

That shape everybody loves so much actually started when a few budget racers started welding a couple of old automobile rear fenders together for the tail (I think they used 47 Chevy's) to save money and also look neat.

You were were lucky enough to race this past summer with a group that threw many of those old USAC rules in the garbage can, and because of that you raced with a much more diverse field of race cars. Heck they even let Mini sprints or as I would like to call them "1000cc Midgets" run with them.

If when their car count increases will you be one of those that would want to ban the chain drive Midget because they would be considered by many of the "Johnny-Come-Lately" racers as not a traditional Midget? I think USAC banned chain drive in the early 70's or so Right after the VW became popular.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: are39