View Single Post
7/1/20, 12:37 AM   #12
flagboy55

Some great feedback. Good points about foresight and also restrictions placed on drivers back in those days. Which btw while watching PA speedweek tonight had me thinking about the Outlaws and how that word in itself should be changed as apparently they can’t run out of sanction, but I digress. I certainly remember the ties that USAC had to the Speedway which were both good and bad probably as far as the other series under their control was concerned. If it’s true that the Hulman paid 40k to win back then, that’s remarkable! 98% of races these days don’t pay that much to win. I’m guessing outside of ******** which I’m sure was in play with USAC, any driver if asked back then if he could win one sprint car race, they most likely would reply Terre Haute. The money and exposure at the time were probably bigger enticement. To me, it’s just a shame that the Tony Hulman Classic isn’t a more celebrated event universally in the sprint car world knowing the history of the race. But I guess these days in America we try to erase history. Thanks again for all your input, and keep it coming if you have anymore to add

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, oppweld, sw1911