View Single Post
2/7/19, 5:00 AM   #16
Re: How much "sheet metal"?
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
I too am a former midget driver and I agree about the protection, but carbon fiber and sheet metal don't give you any real protection other than from rocks or mud. The only thing that adds to real safety is extra chassis bars and they don't have to be covered with body panels to do their job. If the body work is what makes you feel safe in the car, you're just fooling yourself.
ditto...for the most part...(my "former driver" part included a brief foray in Midget98's beautiful equipment too...the best car I got to drive in any discipline of my "career"...lol. From stock cars of all sorts, mini-indys, etc).

PS - at the end of my National Midget "career", I used to make an attempt to at least Q (when they had it) without the right side guard (seemed my dad always wanted to button it on...surprising, as he is a traditionalist, but gather he did figure it was "safer"), at least once a year, espcly on HoF night. It did in-fact give a different perspective...idt it made me any faster tho...lol. BUT I maybe only raced without one barely once tho, I gotta say...I heard enough stories of guys from the 80s & early 90s taking a rock in the arm...actly forgot it one time & had a buddy stop at the shop on his way up! lol.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)