View Single Post
5/29/10, 1:14 PM   #162
Re: R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett
short track scott

We were racing at Anderson when the words of Jesse's accident swirled through the pit area and the grandstands. In the irony that is life, our event had been delayed but a power outage at the speedway. It gave time for the news to be passed person to person, and everyone who knew of Jesse Hockett had a reflection to share of his indelible mark he has made in the lives within this sport.

Eventually we got the show back underway, but the pall over the event was undeniable. As we set the feature line up a moment of silence was observed in honor of his life. After that moment, I couldn't find the words to break the silence. Finally after what seemed like a minute I lowly uttered, "Let's go racing".

And we did. But not without the heavy hearts of losing a friend, a hero, a great young man.

I would like someday to see an award given by the NSCHoF in Jesse's memory. It wouldn't be an every year thing, but one given to a racer who follows Hockett's trail as a top notch gasser. He was good. In life. In a racecar.

Rest in peace.

A few years ago at Gas City's Sprint week show my buddy Burt and I were walking and Jesse comes riding by on his little motorcycle. Burt says, "Look, it's Jesse Hockett and his pocket rocket!" Laughs all around, but none bigger than his.

That is Jesse Hockett.

1 member likes this post: Bruce Harrison