View Single Post
4/10/24, 3:41 PM   #12
Re: USAC announces Jason Smith as new president
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan52 View Post
I hope one of his duties is to find series sponsors so that we can get off the minimum $5k to win. I know lots of races pay more but the minimum needs to get up up there higher. We claim this is the pinnacle of n/w racing; let's pay like it is. I realize that we are in a moment of time where these sponsors are hard to find but the winged world seems to be finding money somewhere. I just want a piece of it for n/w!
I find it interesting that while winged racing is in the midst of POSSIBLE power struggle, crowds for the WoO shows have set at least 3 attendance records at tracks. Volusia, Kennedale and 81 Speedway all have set attendance records this year when the WoO showed up.

I know when we were at Volusia on the Sat. Night they set the attendance record, they suspended ticket sales with people still in line. While the crowd for the USAC/Dirtcar LM shows at Volusia on Monday and Tuesday night were decent, they were AT BEST 60% of the crowd Saturday night.

Sponsors go where they get the most “bang” for their buck. Based solely on what I have seen over the past 3 years, more eyeballs are seeing sponsor names and more ears are hearing sponsor names at WoO events than they are at USAC events.

It is my opinion that the “casual” sprint car fan doesn’t recognize a good dirt track race from a bad one. They are attracted by the “event”, see drivers they get to see once or twice per year, cars going fast and turning sideways and leave excited. It is actually to the sponsors benefit if their sponsorship is seen by more new fans than veterans.

So is it promotion, name recognition or familiarity that is driving the large WoO crowds? I really don’t know. I certainly hope that Mr. Smith has answers for moving USAC forward and increasing fan attendance and team participation. I feel like sprint car racing at all levels is nearing a crossroads, and the decisions and events over the next couple of years could have long reaching impacts.