View Single Post
7/3/20, 12:07 AM   #25
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
It's been interesting reading stories about these two races. Clearly there are more experts on this topic than myself. What strikes me was how Knoxville took the Nationals and made a huge event out of it. Their track was clearly modernized, a week long list of area events, a yearly downtown parade and a welcome race fans attitude is laid out by the city.

Did Terre Haute ever have any city wide events leading up to the Hulman? I do remember the rumors of the Action Track & fairgrounds almost being sold for development. After attending last night, it looks like very few dollars have been invested in the track in recent years. The PA system was hard to hear, lighting poor and the facility just needs an investment. Sad to see for a track with so much history. Seems like many fairgrounds face these same issues.
With regard to your question re: Terre Haute Havin city wide events in the days leading up to the Hulman? Yes! They had daily news coverage from the track about the preparations, stores had Hulman Classic sales, etc. Since qualifications were held on Friday to set the 28 car field for the heats on Saturday, they had a banquet downtown on Friday night for the 28 drivers that qualified for the Saturday show. It got so large it was held in the ISU basketball arena.

With the racetrack being located on the Vigo County Fairgrounds, it’s fate and funding are controlled by the fair board. Don Smith, who was president of Terre Haute First National Bank and was a prominent local businessman was also president of the fair board during the late 60’s and 70’s and was VERY racing oriented. Since his retirement and passing, there has not been much of a “pro racing” Fair board in place. Without Bob Sargent and his TEI organization stepping up, it is likely racing at THAT would just be a memory.

I attended my first race in Terre Haute in 1970, attended college in Terre Haute (no, NOT ISU) from 1973 to 1977, and married a girl from Terre Haute. It is kinda my second home.