View Single Post
10/24/13, 10:27 PM   #16
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
Copperhead

I think in order to get Lightning Sprint / Upright Mini Sprint racing on the right track, the first thing we need to do is get fans and promotors interested in the product. These discussions always blame motors / rules as the cause of the downfall, when the fact is that even if everyone gets along and runs a common set of rules, it doesn't matter if no one knows what these cars are or wants them at their track. From the fan side of things, the class itself needs to be more uniform as far as a common name for the cars and a distinction from other forms of miniature open wheel machines. I think the ultimate key to success, beyond everything else, is to get these cars in front of a lot of people, at high-profile venues, during high-profile races. In other words, find a way to piggy-back USAC, WoO, etc. MMSA ran Sprint week at Bloomington two years straight, and I beleive Lightnings ran with the Outlaws in Illinois this year, but there needs to be more of this to generate the recognition. Find a way to run at Haubstadt, Gas City, Kokomo, Putnamville, Paducah, Tri-City, Belle Clair, etc. - and do it alongside a big-ticket show. It's good for drivers, sponsors, and fans. If you need proof of this concept, it's POWRi. The micros run everywhere the Midgets do, and the numbers of cars that show up is astounding. There's no reason they should be any more popular than 1000cc uprights. Don't discount small venues and fair races either, but you've got to make events out of them and get the locals excited and involved before cars even show up. Definitely discuss rules in the meeting, but by all means consider this subject as well.

4 members like this post: D.L. 122, DAD, Mike M 67, Wayne Davis