View Single Post
9/10/09, 3:36 PM   #9
Re: The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Connection View Post
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE - I also thought the Ironman 55 was the longest WoO race. Until, I came across this WoO 150 lapper at Paragon Speedway, Indiana which as I said before I wasn't aware of. I read this in the 1986 WoO Yearbook which grabbed my attention. I have no other info on this race or how it was run. Therefore, it brought me to the IOW site asking if anyone was at Paragon for this race and might have any further info.

itsanonwingthing - I agree, it would only seem to me that the race would have been run in segments, fuel stops being one reason. But, I look at the little 500 and from what I have seen there are only 2 mandatory pit stops. And yes, one is dirt and one is asphalt, the track sizes are different, and a host of other reasons, etc.

They raced the USAC sprints at Oswego Speedway in 1966 for 100 laps on the 5/8th's so I guess the sprint cars can go for a long while.

If any sprint car owner, crewman, or driver has any info or comments on the above subject matters please pass it along - thanks.

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

They ran it straight through. Some guys would put on BIG tanks just for this race. Some teams elected to make pit stops - which brought to mind the cliche about Ferrari pit stops and Chinese fire drills. Some guys ran until the fuel was gone, parked it and went home.

The race originated as the Midwest Supermodified Championship and later became the Ed Shepherd Memorial Race in honor of the builder and original promoter of Paragon. In its time the race attracted the best local and regional drivers.

I'm not sure - maybe Mr. Ford could shed some light on this one - but this race may have carried a WOO sanction more than just the one time in 1978.