View Single Post
9/10/09, 2:07 PM   #8
Re: The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantc4mud View Post
The guy you need to talk to is Keith Ford, He can tell you about the fuel because the best i can remember on that night Dick Gaines drove his #22 We were all say'in that night that we would now know if that thing could run or not! I think Mr Gaines got it up to 4th place!!! And that car had a Big Block Chevy in it.
I heard that dick and karl had a little disagreement that night is the reason steve took over as the driver.
I was'nt to old back then but i remember it was a heck of a race, I'm sure if i'm wrong somebody will let me know. So when i see people come on here talk'in down paragon and say'in stuff about(Real Race Cars) I have to laugh my rear off ,If they would have seen some of the race's & Driver's that have been up there over the year's they would have a different take on the place, I'm just glad i got to see them.
Dick Gaines got injured at Champaign Motor Speedway in the fall of 1977 driving Karls #11, so I doubt it was Dick in the car in 1978 for this race. Larry Miller finished the 77 year out in place of Dick, then Steve taking over when we headed south for that first race in 1978 at Devils Bowl. So there was no disagreement that led to Steve being hired. There are countless interviews with Steve over the years where he discusses Karl asking him to drive for him to get the exact details, but before the 1st WoO race at Devils bowl, we were in Florida for what I think was the last Rocky Fisher promoted fiasco, and Steve was driving a #86 for Mark Todd, who was a regular at Paragon in 77.
I remember that race in 78 though being long, and the pit area was crowded. And I got bumped off the back stretch by Alan Barr in the B main for a transfer spot. Also it seemed Chuck Amati ran tough that day.

Steve Thomas

1 member likes this post: 64chevy