View Single Post
2/8/23, 12:44 AM   #134
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
Volunteer410

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 50

If my memory fades me on a few of the tidbits , feel free to correct me

Being young and relatively new to the sport of dirt racing (started going about 10 years go this year ) my experiences at sprint car races have been concentrated to the mainstays of today . However I can distinctly remember a few races that haven't happened since for a variety of reasons

5-2-14
USCS Sprint Cars at 411 Motor Speedway , Seymour TN

Danny Smith was in attendance and a good field of sprint cars was on hand as well. Maybe 20+? Morgan Turpen had one of the worst wrecks I've ever seen since , flipped and was hit mid air by Lance Moss . I think she was injured but cant remember exactly , Terry Gray picked up the win

8-13-17
Great Lakes Dirt Nationals . FAST , BOSS & FAST 305 Sprints at Mansfield Motor Speedway , Mansfield OH

My all time favorite dirt track was Mansfield . Prefect size at 4/10ths of a mile for fantastic racing anytime I went . Over 120 Sprints in the pits with a who's who at that . Jimmy Seger , Dylan Cisney , Mike Wagner , Scotty Theil , Caleb Helms , Logan Wagner , Rob Chaney, Sye Lynch & Brock Zearfoss. Race ended at 4am due to two separate massive wrecks in the 410 Feature . Cottle & Dustin Smith won the BOSS Features , Armstrong the 410 and Stroup the 305. Was also in attendance for the 2018 100K to Win SCWC that Tim Shaffer won after a failed dive bomb by Ruetzel . Breaks my heart to see the state it is in now.

5-24-20
410 & 305 Sprints at Roaring Knob Motorsports Park , Markleysburg PA

During the strange time where racing was banned in Ohio and PA due to restrictions , RKMP defied the government and ran a race . State Troopers were called to the track during the event to attempt to arrest the owner but were denied. The 5 hour drive there was worth it for who was in the pits . A few cars from Michigan , Indiana , Ohio and PA . Heck , even some Wayne County Speedway Locals Chris & Jamie Meyers made the trek just to race . Place was a absolute dump . Rocks the size of boulders being picked up right before hot laps , wood poled chicken wire fencing , spoiled lukewarm hot dogs at concessions & a wasp infestation in the " grand stands ". Sye Lynch won the feature for the 410 and riled up the crowd with his two cents about the government's rules and regulations at the time . Cannot remember who won the 305 Feature . Got the chance to get acquainted with Saban Bibent at the event.

6-27-20
ASCoC at Volunteer Speedway , Bulls Gap TN

The same crazy 2020 year found me in TN at Volunteer Speedway for 410s . Spent the evening in the infield . Saw Lance Moss destroy a car by bouncing into three , place is so banked you strained your neck looking at the action . Ruetzel won the A Main and Saturdays Portion was rained out . 16 cars in attendence , so little that even Steve Surniak showed up !

Word of Advice , always take a chance on a racetrack running something special because you will never know when the track will close.

4 members like this post: erich45, JJMooney, mlamb, oppweld