Thread: DuQuoin weather
View Single Post
9/4/13, 12:29 PM   #69
Re: DuQuoin weather
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
We've been camping at the Du Quoin State Fair and going to the Ted Horn Memorial on The Magic Mile since 1994 except for the rainouts that didn't get rescheduled. But the one rainout that did get rescheduled we didn't go back for since at that time we were still going to the World 100 and had to make a choice since the Du Quoin rainout was run the same weekend as the World.

Still kick myself for going to the World that time since that race was a real yawner (over half of the World 100's we went to were also yawners) and we again had the pleasure of enduring the 15,000 belligerent drunken idiots. Also, I could have easily sold my World tickets for face price.

That year Rich Tobias won his only Silver Crown race and that race was described as one of "the best Silver Crown races ever run". I will forever mourn my decision not to go back to Du Quoin that year.

This year's Horn Memorial had some major shortcomings in regards to participants but Robert Ballou was breathtaking and it was as crazy a race as I've ever seen.
Hey ISF, you know how most everyone was upon the cushion near the wall at DuQuoin the other night? Well the night that Tobias did it was one of if not the first race run under the lights at DuQuoin and Richie was one of the few that was running that high line. Someone on here with a better memory could give more specifics.

I would like to think that Bob and the track prep crew will create a track again like this next year, but I think it was just a matter of the rain that came earlier that afternoon. Can you imaging a full field of cars on a track like that? Nothing like it

4 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, Red Hat, SC90