Thread: DuQuoin weather
View Single Post
9/3/13, 8:48 AM   #62
Re: DuQuoin weather
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I have been going to the Magic Mile for many years now and I can truthfully say that was the strangest finish I have ever seen. With a shower late in the afternoon helping Sarge with track prep, the heavy track had a cushion develop and Ballou was running it with abandon. Unfortunately for him, the fuel didn't last long enough. Windom and Cockrum also were bitten it seems by fuel issues as well.

One thing I haven't seen posted and would like to know is this. What fuels were Ballou, Windom, Cockrum and Urish running? Ethanol or Methanol? Did this have anything to do with the outcome? Better fuel mileage maybe?

Though the car count wasn't what everyone wanted, it was a night for sure to remember. It has been a while since a cushion developed and it was exciting to watch Ballou and others attack it. Also nice to see more than one groove of racing. The battle between East and Cockrum was also enjoyable. They provided the show when Ballou was trying to run away and hide.

Always great to see the Silver Crown cars under the lights at DuQuoin. Also glad to see the State of Illinois cut the infield for this years race. Just a real nice setting to watch a race. It would be a great venue to have more racing. AMA I believe used to run there for a short period of time. I would like to see them return if possible.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: fasster23, racephoto1, racing2bwithu2, Red Hat, SC90