View Single Post
8/10/10, 7:44 PM   #1
Shane Hollingsworth & Outlaw Mosley
nonwing

I had chemo the Tuesday before Saturday night, so I was dragging to say the least. But I woke up about 4:30p and decided to call the Hollingsworth house to see if Shane was running at LPS. Ann Marie said "Yes, we are headed out the door right now." So I made sorry butt to get up and gathered up everything I need to leave the house and drove my way from Brownsburg down to Putnamville. I got there as they were wheel packing and noticed Shane was doing his part as I walked up to the fence.

I was surprised to see that they had 35 sprinters as I walked up to Shane's pit. There I sat with the Hollingsworth clan and we got caught up on what had been going on since I last saw them. I always enjoy seeing everyone as I regard them as part of my own family. It was also nice to be out and back to where I love to be. At a sprint car race.

My own family was at home. Eddie had a buddy over for a sleep over while my daughter Emma had her own things going on. My wife has nevered really cared for racing. I didn't figure that out until at the end of year one of what is now going on 21 years of marriage. But tonight was my night to enjoy my own night out seeing and hearing what I grew up being apart of.

Shane finally got a good draw and started outside of the front row in his heat then proceeded to run away with the race leading the whole way. I spent some time with Shane's dad and grandpa in the stands and then during the bombers I walked around the pits when I recalled seeing Aaron Mosley running his familiar red #27. I walked up and said "Aaron, you may not remember me but.... " He and his dad were great and I really enjoyed talking to Aaron's dad about his day's in a wing sprint car which was about the same time my dad owned a car and we discovered that he drove the same type of sprinter my dad had, a Charlie Alfater chassis. Well, that got us both going talking about people we both knew.

Aaron went down to see what the track was like and when he got back he looked at me and said, "George, you ought to come down one night and wheel pack the car." I'm not sure what he expected, but I said, "Aaron, I would really enjoy that." Granted it would be nice to stand on it like I use to, but to hear the motor fire and idle around would be OK.

I then watched the two b-mains and then Shane was to start on the pole for the feature. Well, he won the race on the start as he beat Johnathon Vennard down into turn one and slide up perfectly up on the cushion to take the lead. Sure enough he walked off and left the field. He was so smooth and really never made a mistake. He won easily, if you can say that driving a sprint car.

As I walked back from the stands I stopped to see Brian Hayden and Bill Garner. It was the first time I had talked to Bill face to face and we got to share some of our chemo stories. It was good to see Brian, I always enjoyed racing with him. I left before his modified feature but read that he ran 4th.

I drove home with the biggest smile on my face. I got home around 11pm and when I opened the door I could hear Eddie and his little friend laughing about something up stairs when my wife said, "Well how was it?" I got all excited and felt my back straighten out and then realize something and said, "I had a nice evening, how was yours?"

Thanks to Shane and Aaron for such a great night. I don't seem to get out much, so Saturday night was a real treat.