View Single Post
12/6/19, 11:50 PM   #7
hairracer44

If the big money multiple car teams didn't exist the car count would be fine. The guys that use to run midgets got priced out when Chevy, Ford, Toyota came in with there money and what are now $50,000 engines to compete.

Midget racing at one time was the working man's open wheel class. A guy that had a decent job could afford to put a Chevy II or VW midget together and run. Not anymore it take more and more to run a midget, I love racing a midget more than a Sprint car but can't afford a midget that would even be worth taking to a race. While I don't run up front in my Sprint car it is affordable enough to go have fun and not put me in the poor house with it being funded out of my pocket with not a single sponsor.

I truly believe the big money corporate sponsors have driven the sport to need multi car teams just like NASCAR and INDY CAR. Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I love the midgets and am not trying to bad mouth it as it is what it is and it won't ever go back to being a low budget deal. It's that old thing of people saying in the good old days it was better, no it was just different and you are nostalgic and love the memories of the good old days. Things change some for better and some for the worst depending on how you look at it Midget racing could be better now or it could be worse.
Last edited by hairracer44; 12/7/19 at 12:00 AM.