View Single Post
3/27/17, 8:06 PM   #25
Re: Desoto Speedway safety
darnall

My dad and I promote one outlaw kart national level race every year.. usually a 2 day show to effectively get the fastest guys in the main...we pay 3 grand to win and 200 to start a kart race on a small rodeo arena....because one time a year we can hustle enough sponsorship to afford to do it on that scale and still make it turn out as a profitable fundraiser...

To have a staffed ambulance on site at standby status, which means they leave if they get a dispatch call, costs upwards of 800-900 bucks per night... for them to be there watching our program instead of parked in their garage watching TV... I can't even tell you how much it costs today to get one on site with dedicated status..meaning they stay until they leave to transport one of our people or the show ends....because it was somewhere around 1200-1400 bucks per night 8-10 years ago the last time we asked about dedicated service.

If I'm a racer with 50 bucks in the checking account, no new tires, and a motor that needed freshened 3 weeks ago I can't honestly tell you which of the following 2 races I'm going to point my truck towards next weekend...

track A who now only pays 500 to win because us openwheel guys demanded an on site transport vehicle and staff and that thousand bucks had to come from somewhere or ...

track B 50 miles down the road where I always run good, 2 of the local hotshoes refuse to race, and they still pay 1500 to win weekly but we all know they have to call for transport

Seriously... I know what my choice should be...I know what I hope Id decide.. but I can't honestly say I would... and I bet track B has a bigger car count on average each week...