View Single Post
4/14/09, 7:42 PM   #14
Re: Darren Hagen
psullivan

The x-factor here, previously unmentioned, is that the accident never should have happened had the flagman not thrown a nonsense yellow for a lightning-quick 360 that Kevin Thomas did and kept going.

Steve - the above was your quote and it is grossly unfair. How would you feel if it was directed at you, and a person you work with, interact with, and given the two great personalities involved probably are very friendly with, was involved in a horrific crash that could have been much worse? Pointing a finger isn't necessary and it is hurtful. These are professional drivers. Over the course of the year they will make starts and restarts hundreds of times - and there are hundreds of different variables involved in each case - some mental and some physical. You cannot pin this on one factor. You just can't. And I think you know this. Laps are turned there in 15 seconds - Tom and any flagman, with help from race control, has a split second to react. What happened after that is in the driver's hands. We are all disappointed that Darren got hurt, but here is the deal - sometimes there are situations that just happen.

For the record - I'm not a dumb guy - the previous post took about a minute - but I did make a typo that I had to correct and that took another 15 seconds because it involves the oldest science fiction story line of all time - a notion that a random event has large consequences. This one took a bit longer.
-