Thread: shootout
View Single Post
DAD (Offline)
  #7 12/8/14 12:10 PM
Dads Ideas for doing the Shoot out on the cheap.

The first and foremost thing is Logistics. With the right logistics anyone can save a lot of money.

2500 to 3000 miles is a bit of a trip to do on ones own pocket book even for a $1000.00 or $1500.00 to win and they don't have too many winners out there. I think we made $800.00 for second place the first year that Mini Sprints was invited to race their. I did not see any of that money my driver and mechanic got it all.

Back in the 60's money was tough also, so racers got to traveling to the races in packs. Many times sleeping in the back of their pickups or station wagons. That would not be smart for Tulsa in December. Another trick was to co exist with one another. One guy would rent a room at a not so expensive Motel and share it with a few friends somewhere around 6 to 10 guys or so. Those motel rooms had a special aroma about them that I can still think back and remember and get an immediate gag reflex from it. But that was part of the cost of racing. We were careful to remove all the extra bedding before we went to the track. I somehow think the management still knew what was going on but we tried not to force their hands.

A benefit of this mode of co existing was you got to know your competition a lot better. In some ways too much better. But it was fun and an adventure for a young guy. We could go to a grocery store and get some bologna and bread and that was lunch for everybody. Nothing better than bacon and eggs cooked on an old gasoline Coleman Stove. That naphtha gas gave the food a definite taste all to itself.

I am a little old for that form of racing anymore. Were I to lay down and turn on my Supper-Charger C-pap machine I would probably be moved to the bath tub and you sure don't want to sleep their and share it with a bunch of other racers.

If I was 20 years younger I would sure think about it because it would be a life experience you would never forget.

I bet you could rent a semi and driver to take you out their and back and even get the chance to race against the semi driver.

Remember we call it "LOGISTICS" now much better than racing on the cheap.

Honest Dad himself