View Single Post
8/15/19, 9:43 AM   #14
Re: Vermilion Co Speedway (Danville, IL) - Track Being Bulld
3wide

If I could just have Kenny Dobson's outlook and understanding on everything, my life would be much more simple! We need more "big picture" promoters and supporters in the racing community!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
Tracks can make it just fine at a fair grounds, but everyone involved with the race track has to understand that at most fairgrounds today, the track is pretty much there as a courtesy and typically the amount of rent a track provides isn't what could be generated from an alternate use of the space. That's just the reality.

The economics and entertainment options a fair needs to survive have changed. We are in a trend where Concerts seem to be the big draw at fairs. I know at Jacksonville, the concerts are and must be the priority to our fair board - and there's no doubt that the structure of the race track is less than optimal to putting on a real concert.

Personally, I think it's when the race track operators and fans lose perspective on the big picture when the track/fair board relationship tends to fall apart. Our policy at Jacksonville - and well-known to our fair board is that they can do whatever they need to do to the property without getting gruff from us and we will make it work. We do ask that they at least consult with us about changes that might affect the track so we might be able to suggest alternatives that have less impact on the track operations. Everything related to our race track is portable - so it can be out of the way for the concerts. Even our scoring stand is on skids.

Fortunately, we have a great relationships with our fair board - because we know we know where we stand in their list of priorities. We also volunteer during their fair to do a lot of the heavy lifting since we are the ones most familiar with where to turn the lights on etc. Tommy is out there every day of the fair taking care of things for them, watering, moving things etc.

But everyone in the racing community needs to know that at a vast, vast majority of fairgrounds, the race track isn't the main priority to the survival of the fair. The track is a guest.

Here's our race track being put to its highest and best use...