View Single Post
7/11/18, 2:43 PM   #9
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
What does lead change, Bob? It wouldn't affect the caster split, does it change the jacking effect, or the turn-in? I've never quite got my head around what lead does do, other than alter the wheelbase, which would (I guess) help the car to rotate.
I know Jim, it's hard to figure, and hard to visualize, and really hard to wrap your head around, say 3/8" lead on RF, as the wheels start to turn in, it kind of unloads the left rear, making it turn better, as you turn the wheels in a counter steer, it adds more weight to the left rear, making it bite better, and gets you off the turn better, I think! I know with my axle fixture, I can change it pretty much how you want it, and things are different, what they are doing, is welding the eyes in, at different angles, again, I think, I can tell you my favorite set up, both eyes the same, 3/8 rf lead, 1/8 toe out, and 4* negative caster. I think! I used to watch a guy who drove for Bill Case, he was always adjusting something on the front axle, toe, lead, something, and he did well. When you "unsquare" the front axle, things change. I spent one winter on Jacobs ladders and front end geometry, with a digital level, and marks on paper, I had a headache all winter, there's a lot of variables, it was fun, but now I don't know if it was worth it or not.
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/11/18 at 4:21 PM.