View Single Post
9/24/18, 12:33 PM   #41
Re: Ballou vs Stewart
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Hightower View Post
Calling Ballou "one of the best ever" is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. The best ever drove and won on every type of track surface and condition. I liked his hammer down style when he came on the scene, and still has at certain tracks. But, he sure can't run dry slick, use patience, and isn't what I'd call "smooth" by any stretch. He definitely isn't bigger than Eldora, or the races that happen there, or the people that show up to watch the racing there, and will come with or without Robert. I'm pretty certain The Big E will survive without Ballou. Simple, if all you want to do is cry, complain, call out people, and don't run worth a sh*it at certain joints, then stay home. I liked the racing fine, and that's probably the best Silver Crown race I've seen. Ballou wouldn't know, he wasn't in it. Hopefully he enjoyed watching as much as I did.
Except he has won at every type of track and surface and won a USAC championship, Is in double digits in USAC wins, Has won Eldora several times, I've even seen him come from the tail to top three before breaking there.

There are dozens of track champions, Multi time champions etc that raced tons of USAC sprint races and have ZERO or single digit USAC Wins. It's a different level, and to beat em at your home track is a major accomplishment, To beat em not at your home track, Nearly impossible.

I think he's a hell of a racer, Generally a good guy and means well.
I've said a dozen times I hate his bashing tracks and promoters, It's not good for the sport. Everyone else was on the same track. They also had the choice not to race.

Second year in a row he "Called out Smoke" on track conditions. Last year I agreed, It was dustbowl with no cushion that probably got drivers hurt until it eventually blew off. This year I don't. It was classic Eldora, He who runs highest, wins.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/24/18 at 12:52 PM.