View Single Post
8/25/15, 12:42 AM   #10
Re: Justin Wison news conference
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
The problem with changing Indy cars is this: closed cockpits are safer, but so are fenders and slower speeds. So, where do you draw the line?
100% correct you are, TRT. My stance here is that I am willing to accept any change that will prevent this from occurring again - no matter what the diehard fan backlash is.

Roll cages are the first things to come to mind in open wheel cars. I remember when that push started.

Pit road speed limits. I can remember Mike Rich in NASCAR getting killed on pit lane by an out of control car driven by Ricky Rudd.

Wheel tethers. They have not been 100% successful, but they might have saved three fans at MIS back in the late 90s had they been in place then.

Every time we add safety to our sport, we dilute the "pure" adrenaline/action of it. I am not blind to this, for I like the action as I watch it at the local dirt tracks. But I have my limits. This Justin Wilson incident is over the limit. We cannot have this happen again.

The physical aspects of how to prevent it...... to be determined. But leaving a head exposed to incoming debris from here on out has to end. No matter what the loss of excitement for the fans and especially us die hards.

You make a good point, though. The more the scale tips towards safety, the more diluted the sport becomes. Right now, though, I think it is time to water down.

Not getting too far off on my post......

RIP Justin. You were one of the good guys from Day 1.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hotrod, i love dirt track racing, racedave