View Single Post
10/27/16, 12:17 AM   #18
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
DonMoore10

The topic of body panels was discussed on Facebook many weeks ago. One of the posters in this thread seems to show up with a negative agenda within seconds when I post. After the Facebook discussion I personally interviewed some EMS workers about the body panels. When I'm talking body panels, I am not referring to the right side arm guard which has been in place for many, many years nor am I referring to the sun panel across the front. I am talking about recently allowed body panels that leave a peep hole on each side of the cockpit.

Now some midget owner or owners with too much money in their pockets took a midget to a wind tunnel and found that they could experience less drag on the midget with the paneling. I know this as a fact as I was told by a very famous driver that drove for me a few years that this is how it came about.

Now back to the EMS workers. I interviewed several and pointed out several cars to them that had the paneling. I asked them if they had to rescue a driver would the paneling be a time consuming obstruction to remove and they all agreed it would be. Furthermore, I asked them if they carried screw drivers and side cutters to remove the panels and the answer was no.

So for my cars, you will never see the paneling which is now on almost every USAC and POWRI car. My number one concern as a car owner is to present safe friendly cockpit confines within reason. And yes, to the poster who shows up within seconds of my posting, the arm guard stays and the sun panel stays, thank you. If all the other car owners, USAC and POWRI feel comfortable with paneling that leaves a peep hole on each side, then so be it. Their cockpits are now successfully blocked on both sides and if there is a muffler guard, it would be three sides and with the body tubing behind that cockpit that is now four sides and if after a crash the top is blocked then all of you are rolling the dice getting a driver out quickly.

2 members like this post: Can26, jdull99