View Single Post
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #11 1/31/23 1:40 PM
Originally Posted by beaner:
Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?
Your memory is not bad, beaner. I was there a couple of times. If you got a running start and threw a baseball at the track, unless you were a pro outfielder, you couldn't hit it on the fly.

The strangest ending to any sprint race I ever saw was there once. MTS. Steve Irwin was leading pretty much the whole way. There were many cautions. On the last restart they pointed out that the next flag was going to be the end for it was starting to get dark and they had no lights.

Irwin comes up on lapped traffic and runs up and over a guy and lands on his side. End of race. Now.... who wins?

If you go back to the last completed lap, Steve was the leader. But he caused the red.

Who was in second on the last completed lap? Gregg Dalman - but unbeknownst to the fans, he apparently had hit the restart cone.

So who is in third in the last completed lap? John Watson of Canada. Johnny Demonic got the win. Apparently he was putting the car in the hauler when they ran him down and told him.

There were no loudspeakers for the track so none of the fans knew this on the way out. I found out the next day when I read it on tjslideways.

Chiming in live from the West Coast of Michigan.... Mike
5 Likes: beaner, BrentTFunk, fish, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner