View Single Post
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #40 11/25/15 8:06 AM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
I've only been following sprint cars 5 yrs., can't comment on the good ole days. In the last few years, Larson, Rico, Bacon, & Bell have won in winged cars. What primarily winged driver has won in wingless?
You make a good point, Jim. Very few drivers these days flip flop between the two, and the ones you mention are right up at the top.

Without hijacking the thread too much, I am going with my gut feeling on certain winged drivers running non-wing and having success. A lot of it also has to do with what equipment they are running. For example, I think if you took a couple of WoO heavy hitters like Schatz or Swindell, put them in a Paul Hazen prepared non-winger and turned them loose for Indiana Sprint Week, they would take home some serious silverware.

However, it is a pipe dream. It is not going to happen.

But yes..... the drivers presently who flip flop pretty much came from/started with non-wing. No one has tried going back regularly from starting in wing. I think it might be because non-wing is quite regional vice wing, which is more national. There is more opportunity to blend in with the latter going from place to place. With non-wing you are a tad more limited and more likely to venture out and across, whereas with wings, you stay with status quo and the numbers - if that makes sense.

Me, I will never underestimate what some of the WoO and All Star guys could do if they tried non-wing for a while. On the other side, I'd like to see what Dave Darland could have done with a wing had he gone that way. The sky might have been the limit.