View Single Post
7/14/17, 11:55 PM   #5
Re: Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all driver
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Saw a number of races on the half mile '60s & '70s. Don't remember the quarter, but Allen Brown's "History of America's Speedways" says there was one there.
There was also Champaign Motor Speedway, aka Twin City Speedway, that had a quarter inside a half. Only lasted from '73 until '79, I believe.
I have found conflicting accounts of what is known as Champaign Motor Speedway. Ultimate Racing History has race results from as far back as 1959 and as recent as 1975 at a track known as Champaign Motor Speedway. I'm not sure what track that would have been but I do remember the speedway near Fisher, Illinois, which is north and a little west of Champaign-Urbana. It was a big half mile that I believe went by Champaign Motor Speedway, as well. The track near Fisher was open throughout most of the time I was in college. A couple of us ventured up to that track from C-U for an event or two during the brief time it was open.

Obscure remnants of the track near Fisher, Illinois can still be seen if you know where to look.

I was not aware that there was another track besides the fairgrounds and Fisher. If someone knows the whole story regarding these tracks please enlighten us.