View Single Post
7/28/16, 4:43 PM   #4
Re: Target Leaving Indycar
Stevensville Mike

Interesting first couple of posts here.

Back in the 80s when NASCAR took huge advantages of putting sponsors and logos on the cars, when you went to their races they made sure you heard announcements pertaining to "support the sponsors that support our sport". No one had sponsor decals and signs on their stick and ball uniforms (unless you watched soccer from abroad). So, a lot of us, me included, would feel a little bit of pride when we bought products of sponsors who supported racing - Kodiak, Skoal, Folgers, Miller, Coors, Budweiser, Bulls-Eye BBQ sauce, Quaker State, Valvoline, Citgo, Kodak, Slim Jim, etc. We could "identify" with the teams and drivers that way.

I honestly think the corporations paid close attention to this link between fan and sponsor/team.

Now..... I do not think that is there anymore. The fans that are left after the big NASCAR 'boom" of the early 00s imploded and the disintegration of AOWR thanks to the Hulman and Company's new Chairman of the Board do not relate to the team/car sponsors anymore. That, combined with the dwindling of popularity of racing is making corporations reel in the reigns on spending as such.

The racing fan these days (not to disrespect the fans of years' past) have a lot more broader perspective on corporate America. Gone are the days of buying Folgers Coffee for their sponsorship of Tim Richmond. Give me a better tasting Keuring cup now. Who needs Winstons? Smoking and tobacco is on the outs.

No.... as I see it, technology has opened up our minds - commercially, politically, and monetarily thanks to a shaky economy at times these days. Very few would go to Target these days in support of Ganassi Racing. They are going there for a deal if they can get one.

As for transgender bathrooms....... I was at Kokomo Speedway this past weekend. At one time, I entered the Men's room. There are two trofts. There were five of us using each one. When I was done, I washed my hands. The other nine did not. Whatever happened to gentlemenly manners?

I just hope whatever enters either restroom washes it's hands upon exiting.

5 members like this post: captrat, chrismattlin, EBookerFan, illiNOISE, t_inmyface