View Single Post
1/16/24, 7:06 PM   #28
Re: Chili Bowl format
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I heard smthn about a different compound? Is that possible that a majority of the field were running them?
Everybody is running the Hoosier SP3 right rear. The softer SP2 and even softer RD12 are out of production and were not legal this year. The SP3 probably has a stiffer sidewall construction than the RD12. Functionally it has to be stiffer, because the SP3 is designed to be an 82" tire on a 12" rim and the RD12 was designed to be an 84" tire on a 12" rim. Plus, some of us are required to run SP3s on 10" rims, so I know there were both 10" and 12" combinations in the building. The sidewall stiffness was a subject of conversation, as was the impact of the harder compound in terms of wearing out the track. The tire spec change was lauded as a major factor in the track holding up on prelim nights, but then Clinton Boyles threw me for a loop when he said the harder tire was responsible for the track taking rubber in Saturday's A because the harder tire would slip where the softer tire wouldn't.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99