View Single Post
B.Hooven (Offline)
  #1 1/28/11 12:37 AM
Hello everybody. I am brand new to dirt track racing. I grew up in Northern Indiana on the pavement. But I am starting to love the dirt track racing down here in the Bloomington, IN area. I started to do some research, and was messing around on Google maps one day and came across what looked like an abandoned race track. After doing some minor investigating I found out that it was called Owensburg Speedway and is located in Owensburg, IN. It is only about a half hour away from my house so I had to go and check it out. As I literally drove down a road that probably shouldn't even exist, this track arose out of nowhere like the great Titanic sunken at the bottom of the ocean.

I don't know why, but I just became fascinated with this track and couldn't stop thinking about it. I tried to do some research on it and literally found nothing worth anything. I found out that it was Owensburg Speedway or Greene County Speedway. I called the listed phone number and it is disconnected. I emailed some people involved in a sprint series that was supposed to race there in 2005, and still have received no response(2 years later). I checked through the local newspaper archives and found barely anything. It's as if this is a ghost track that never existed. I saw that it was supposed to re-open in 2005 however if you go to the track it looks as if it hasn't been touched in 20+ years.

So I resort now to you dirt track experts on Indiana Open Wheel. Is there anybody out there that can give me any information about the track: who raced there, what raced there, when was it in operation, was it successful at all, why did it shut down, and most importantly: does anybody have any photos of it back when it was in its prime??

Thank you guys very much for your time and any information that you can provide me.

Brandon
2 Likes: AustinSprinter, nathans1012