View Single Post
10/15/20, 9:50 PM   #2
Re: The Illinois Miles
ISF

Well, as a mere spectator I've seen some exemplary racing at both Springfield & Du Quoin, especially over the past 6 or 7 years. Du Quoin is a night race and that seems to aid in the development of a cushion right up by the outside wall on more than one occasion. THAT is some spectacular stuff, to be sure.

We've seen some rim riding at Springfield, as well, Korey Weyant put on a show for the ages at Springfield in the LCQ only to grenade an engine immediately after taking the lead from a 6th row starting position with just a few laps to go.

Both venue's have their favorable nuances but I just slightly lean towards Springfield. I defer to Mr. Jack Hewitt as to the reason for our slight favorability towards Springfield. Jack told me that Springfield is the raciest of all the miles he's ever graced with his participation so that's good enough for me. The 2017 & 2018 Bettenhausen Memorial 100's were the best racing we've ever seen at Springfield and I've been attending races there since the first time my Dad took me to The Mile. I was 12 years old. 46 years in a row to be exact.

In regards to a the venue's themselves one is not any better or worse than the other.