View Single Post
10/2/15, 5:08 PM   #6
Re: Jacksonville Speedway to Kick Off POWRi Division II Midg
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I hope all these rules don't obsolete every "National" engine...running them restricted has worked pretty well for the IRS for years...many "2.4s" & 1000s ran top 3 / top 5 (at least one win too...) with BMARA in 2015. I DO hope that ALL the clubs (including IRS & BMARA) get on a harder 10" RR RACE tire in 2016...& do like KNOXVILLE 410 SPRINT CARS, AND OTHER OPEN WHEEL CLASSES (not to mention many of the PAVEMENT stockcar tracks in the IL/WI area) have rules & limits on the amount of new rubber you can throw at your car every race or so...

Jason

Tell me more about your 10" RR tire. I think that would be the key to everything. Just like the Open Wheel Mods that RR goes a long way in evening things up I would suspect. Now about them Old School National Midget Motors. If the class comes up with a good stock engine formula, you guys with the older motors could buy a brand almost new 2.4 or 2.5 motor for less than the cost of the freshen up on your old motor. Heck just sell it to a guy into vintage racing and make a profit on it. If you blow the old motor up then the later model motors would be a no brainier for a replacement. I said 2.5 motor for a reason if a racer wants to buy a low mileage motor out of a 2 year old car they ain't going to be any 2.4's, because the car makers for the most part have gone up another 100 cc's (about 6 cubic inches) for their newer motors. If a racer can buy a motor right out of the salvage yard and install it and race it racing will be a lot cheaper.

The after market people can still make adapters, exhaust pipes and mufflers, fueling options and yes even Ignition box mapping and or special aftermarket ignition box's to keep them cams in place to prevent these motors from becoming too too highly tuned for the average racer thus giving them an unfair advantage over the other guy that is running an older motor Remember we are talking about $2500.00 for a new 2015 2.5 Ecotec motor.

If you race with stock out of the car salvage motors finding and buying a low mileage motor is much cheaper than going through it and installing new pieces, even if stock pieces are used. Not only that but most of the blocks on these engines are so thin if you throw a rod through the side they are to thin to weld back up. The average Midget racer will have to change his whole outlook toward maintenance on the engine if they decide to race in this class>>>he should not repair the engine, just replace it when it goes bad. That should go a long way to keep the cost of racing at a minimum.

Honest Dad himself