View Single Post
6/21/11, 12:50 PM   #23
Re: OT-Tin Tops on CBS-Your Thoughts?
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Given the right conditions, the late models can put on a very good show. It is just too often that they are "follow the leader". We had a WoO LM 100 lapper at Battleground Speedway the year before last, and it was a barn burner, several lead changes throughout the race, right up to the checkered flag. Too bad the track owner lost a whole bunch of money on the deal (crowd of only 300 to 400). The 50 lapper was a decent race last year, but after losing even more money (no advertising - "word of mouth" and a crowd of about 150-200) they won't be back.
That's exactly why there are almost no late model races in northern Indiana this year. The promotors were disappointed with the size of some of the crowds and have stopped scheduling any late model races. The races were fantastic, like the Summer Nationals race at Kokomo last year. But the promotors often put little effort into promoting the shows and usually give them a weeknight event which cuts into the crowd since the majority of fans have to work the next day. I know a large portion of the users on this board go to the parking lot when the sprints aren't racing, but they would realize that there is some great racing they are missing out on if they just get off their high horse long enough to see it.

I enjoyed the "reality" part of the show where the camera crews visited the race shops and talked about how these drivers have worked to get where they are. It reminded me a little bit of the "Dirt Knights" show that was just fantastic following the USMTS modified drivers on Versus. If they could get something like that going for late models, it would be great for the exposure of the sport. Last year I had no idea who the hell Ryan Gustin is. But now when I read his name winning a modified race at Cedar Lake, I know who he is and how talented he is.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 6/21/11 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo