View Single Post
8/7/14, 4:55 PM   #47
Re: Montpelier Speedway Midget Series Returns Sat. August 2
DAD

Ken, back when he was on the BCRA board out in California helped make a difference. Some older cars started showing up and car counts actually increased by 8-10 cars within 2 seasons. The mission then was to just get cars to the track just as Montpelier has. Sadly after Ken and another key board member left the BCRA board, the old self-serving group reappeared and Bay Cities midget have never been the same.

I see Johnny Murdock is starting a group called BAM (Budget American Midget) series, plus the IMRA (Illinois Midget Racing Association), both have rules more in line with what Dad has voiced here and Jim actually ran with the IMRA group as he has stated. These groups are really just getting stated on their rules package but who knows, within 5 years this could be the norm as far as local midget racing. The best thing is they are all welcomed at Montpelier.

Don O’Keefe Jr.

Don I used to be one of them non productive shop teachers, that were considered to be something like throw backs to the industrial revolution. The people in charge of educating our children considered the shop teacher obsolete. Sooo now when a light bulb burns out people have to call for a qualified electrician to change it for them. Dirty hands hands are considered not cool>>>so now my guys wear plastic gloves????

That first paragraph sure says a lot. Have you ever been associated with a group that was run by a bunch of self serving so and so's, that played ******** with one another to get their agenda approved by sacrificing someones else's wishes. If a racer is not in the "cliche:" he feels that his chances of success to be hopeless. I have seen this happen several times in my lifetime, with several very successful racing groups. Could this be a problem with Midget racing today???

Fortunately this will not happen at Montpelier. Why you ask? Well because Montpelier is controlled by a "Benevolent Dictator". This old dictator may talk with many of his subjects and listen to their concerns. He will then go back and make or not make rules as needed to keep the club prosperous, because it is important to him to have a prosperous organization (He likes to eat). He should not have any skin in the game in the form of racers, his only concern should be for the final product. The old back biting may still go on but as long as the dictator is in control and the racers don't perceive him as playing favorites he will succeed. He doesn't need to liked by all the racers nor does he need to be disliked by all the racers all he has to do is for all the racers to feel like that he is treating them all the same way.

The person that says a "DICTATOR" is a bad person has never been involved in racing. I can remember one promoter that would get on the drivers radio's and announce "You guys ain't at Burger King, and you ain't going to have it your way!!!" He was respected.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 8/7/14 at 7:50 PM.

5 members like this post: Copperhead, DOK, jjones752, Ken Bonnema, tandtinc2424