View Single Post
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #15 4/12/24 11:32 AM
Does anyone really want or need the next level? Yes, I would like to see participants make more money. Usually that just makes them spend more. Go through the pits at a big wing race, and look at the amount of money being spent on things that do nothing to increase performance.
Another problem for a promoter is when you pay more, you may actually get less cars. It happens a lot in this area. Guys don't really care what it pays to start. They are racing where they feel they can run up front, even if they make less money. That is their decision. Not saying it is wrong.
Fans want to see races pay what wing races do, and then complain because it costs more to get in. Some go to a race that costs $5 less to get in, but pays 60% less for the purse.
I am sure that most people feel that when NASCAR grew it alienated its old fans. I feel like the Outlaws also did that. When TNN brought better sponsors, they felt a need to protect their investments. Gone were things like heat inverts, and now racing is pretty much non existent, except when lap traffic comes into play in the feature. Which those guys are the best at lap traffic.
If USAC paid a WoO type purse, how many would go to more races? I would say most would go to less.
If you want more people to go to the races, bring someone with you who has never been. I have brought a couple of people, who now go to 10 to 15 races a year now. You won't hook everybody, but you will get a few.
11 Likes: captrat, flagboy55, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, PJ Wright, RacingFan52, Rapid Rick, tirespinner, TNRustler, TQ29m