View Single Post
10/29/13, 3:07 PM   #28
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
openwheel44

Geeez Dad.....where do I start? I was going to blow off responding to your last post but I can't do it. We are trying to have a constructive thread talking about a constructive meeting in an attempt to help grow our Lighting Sprint class in the Midwest. Like I said........it may be a total waste of time, but then again, it might be a shot in the arm to help push this class along. A few of us want to try. Shoot us at dawn if nothing good comes of this deal. OK?

The more I think about it...........I can see where those "pesky" nationally accepted rules have just about killed the stock 600 classes. As well as the IMCA classes here in the Midwest. Not to mention how they have drug Karting down to almost being non-existent. And don't get me going on how those stupid ASCS rules have all but killed 360 sprint cars.

If everyone thinks a tire rule is the answer, I have no problem with going along with it. I just think it ought to go by durometer rather than tire brand. Nothing against any brand.....just let people have choices that might save a few bucks in the long run. Season points have nothing to do with the bigger special races we hope due to travelers so why worry about a specific tire that is utilized because of the points fund contributions when it might contradict with the tire a racer might run in other areas? I think we all agree it's a pain to buy a RR or set of tires for one or two special races.

You seem to be really hung up on weight issues like some of us are hung up on motor issues. Seems there needs to be a common weight for winged and non-winged that we can all live with. To me......and I am not speaking for anyone but myself.....over a 1000 pounds for this class is absurd. An average car should weight between 730-760 pounds with a wing. If not, someone needs to go car shopping. According to most of the other classes that consider driver weight as part of the equation, seems they feel 180-190 pounds is the average driver. That said.......seems 910-950 would be a good average weight. Guess what? Seems most groups are already within that range. We just need to find a common weight. Weighting the car beyond that forces the "lighter guys" to add unsafe weight and raises the inertia the car generates during a wreck un-needlessly. Those "big guys" you are talking about........At some point, they won't even fit in this size car. I weight 215 so I am well aware of the restricted confines these cars present. My point..........rather than being concerned about "shoe horning" someone into these cars, concentrate on an average weight and not penalize the lighter guys by adding more and more weight. And again.......slowing the cars down. And yes..........I think most will agree........LIGHT IS FAST. I have yet to see anyone in racing deliberately adding un-needed weight to their car to go faster. But I don't live in Indiana where inertia and various laws of physics evidently have a completely different effect. Lighter cars accelerate and decelerate faster than heavier cars............At least everywhere except Indiana obviously.

I have been a smart a$$ about the weight deal long enough. I have stated my opinion too many times already. I just think there is a workable weight out there that we can all live with at some of these considered "Big events." No one is trying to circumvent any organization's existing rules by putting a gun to their head forcing a change. We're just exchanging ideas and seeing if we can create some commonality on various rules. But not just on motors and weights. Various things will be discussed.

Last thing, there have been quite a few people who have done a lot to promote Lighting Sprints. Jerry is no doubt at the forefront. I applaud his efforts all these years. I have to say though...........your last sentence in that first paragraph has me somewhat confused. ????

You have a nice day DAD. You definitely keep it interesting. Oh.......BTW.......I do have a very open mind about the upcoming meeting and what might come out of it.
Last edited by openwheel44; 10/29/13 at 3:11 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD