View Single Post
10/25/13, 12:49 PM   #27
Re: Central region Lightning / Mini sprint meeting
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel44 View Post
Copperhead...........Something you need to consider.........those 600's the POWERi guys took under their wing were a huge class BEFORE they took them as a support class. They have been around for years and years. Always had good car counts. Everywhere. Probably one of the reasons POWERi started running them. That was a no brainer. Already established car counts......all across the nation. And quess what.....they run basically under a standard set of rules and quidelines. Even the more open motors the POWERi cars run. Ask one of those guys what they have in their car/motor. I know....I own one. Lightning Sprints are cheaper. But 600's have an established car count already running at hundreds of facilities. The main thing.....they have basic accepted rules......Same as we are trying to do here. To get that exposure you are talking about takes car count. Too many tracks don't want to mess with a class with small car counts. We need cars. Period.....to make the next step. We need to appeal to more racers and expensive cars/motor costs are NOT going to do it. In this area, we have had LM, Modifieds and Sprint car guys talk the talk about switching to Lightning Sprints. Only a few actually do it. Good luck on that though because that is what we need to happen along with attracting Karting and 600 people.

FYI...........I have said my piece about the weight and by the way..........I weigh 215. Seems most of the groups have found a minimum weight they are comfortable with. It would just be nice to get one common weight for winged and one for non-winged. And not keep slowing the cars down doing it.

When Poweri put on their first indoor race at DuQuoin Magic Mini Mile. Jerry Tague's 1000cc AMSA Mini Sprints shared the race with the Poweri 600cc sidewinders as the only two classes on the race program. Jerry has done quite a few things to make the mini sprints a more popular class, and that was just one of them. We did such a good job at that race they replaced us with the midgets.

Why is it that with the sidewinders motor cost is not an object but with uprights it is. Those guys are like go karters you can sell them all kinds of snake oil go fast goodies for their motors and they fall all over themselves trying to be the first guy with the new trick goodie. We on the other hand worry our selves silly about some racer who by the definition of the term "RACER" is always looking for a way to go faster and will spend his kids lunch money to do it.

First we want a spec class "finger down throat" then we say while everything is on the table "WEIGHT" is not. We don't have enough cars to have a light and heavy class.

Weight over here in Indiana seems to be"the best kept speed secret" around. We got some big old boys that can put a hurt on any 941 pound car and driver. They didn't get big and fast overnight, they started out skinny and learned how to drive a race car and built up weight as they progressed. However most big old boys looking to get into racing ain't going to do too good starting out big in this class. They are going to think no need me getting into this sport I'll just go race the pumpkin patch class with the GoKarters at least I might have a chance there..

Sit back and study the problem. First you are wanting to slow down some racers (We think they are cheating), Then you come back and say certain things will make them too slow, (HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT WILL MAKE THEM TOO SLOW IF YOU HAVE A CLOSED MIND?). and don't try it.

The hard RR tire will slow down the inexperienced hot shoe with a million dollar motor making all kinds of strange noises but that big old boy with driving experience and set up skills will just keep on winning races.

There are a few drivers over here THAT we need to just plain outlaw because they are just too dammed fast and good for the other drivers. Is that what you guys are trying to do also and just don't realize it. Twenty pound difference in weight is not going to keep us from racing with you guys if we could find the money to get there. We won't even have to check our weigh to be legal. We wouldn't even have a problem with our motor specs.

We may not have national rules. BUT event UMP rules get changed around a little for non sanctioned races. Groups will tend to follow the rules that make sense for them. The group with the best set of rules will get copied a lot.

Maybe all we need to do is copy the USAC rule book and change a few motor specs and make chain drive optional.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/27/13 at 12:44 PM.