Thread: 22 highlights
View Single Post
12/28/22, 11:05 PM   #15
JJMooney

#3. April 15th: Wythe Raceway, Rural Restreat VA: All my life I have tried to like late models. I really have. Earlier this year, I made the decision to visit new tracks and give late models another chance. I did see a few good ones here and there. I will say this show was exceptional on a track that’s a huge 5/8 mile high banked monster. This was a Spring Nationals Series, $10,000 to win feature where Brandon Overton passed Jonathan Davenport on the final turn. It was a good one. However, by June I’d seen enough dusty, single-file stinkers that I was back to loving sprint cars before summer was out.

#2. July 29th: I-70 Speedway, Odessa MO. $26,000 to win Rudeen Foundation ASCoC show won by PA’s Anthony Macri. I saw USAC shows at I-70 when it was pavement and high-banked. That was 25 years ago. IMO it was a twin to Salem. They cut the banking, removed the asphalt and applied a nice layer of black clay. The place is still plenty fast and the racing on this night was great. There was passing everywhere during the A-main and I held my breath a bunch of times witnessing Macri, Buddy Kofoid and Rico Abreu weave their way through traffic.

#1. September 10th: Spoon River Speedway, Canton IL. I have never seen Spoon River this good…ever. The Xtreme Outlaw Sprint Series event had action galore all over the place right from the start. From hot laps, to heats, to the feature it was the best show I saw all year. Spoon River was juiced up and fast all night. Scary fast. And the show ran off like clockwork (I think I was out of there before 9:30). Jake Swanson grabbed the lead from Robert Ballou on lap three but there was so much going on everywhere through the pack, the whole race, I difficulty taking it all in.